Tuesday 8 July 2014

Movie Review: The Fault in Our Stars

Hey Guys,
Here's our review of The Fault in Our Stars...

Daisy

Although I had a bad cinema experience with noisy people, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. 
Having read the book, I was very happy to hear that most of the film was quoted with the odd exceptions. There were some scenes that had been cut out - or just not filmed - that weren't a crucial part in the plot, but still would have been nice to have seen, and fingers crossed they're on the deleted scenes on the DVD.
If you've seen the film you'll know how incredible it was, but I was really impressed by the little things.

I loved how the texts were scribbled on screen - if anything could describe 'girly teenager' it was those speech bubbles - I personally thought it created a more romantic(ish) atmosphere between Augustus and Hazel, because it gave the impression of looking at the texts from Hazel's point of view and how she felt (the little fireworks).
This may seem a bit silly to say, but I really appreciated that Hazel didn't wear make-up. I thought it would be inevitable that she did (because it was a movie), but the fact that she didn't made it feel more realistic, that she did have cancer, not just pretending to play somebody who has cancer, and that she was just a teenager who couldn't be bothered to apply make-up every morning.

Finally there is Shailene Woodley herself. I've watched virtually everything she is in (and she's in a new film, White Bird in a Blizzard), and the most recent film she had been in was Divergent. I loved Divergent, so I couldn't get passed the idea of going from kick ass Dauntless to helpless cancer kid in the same year - because lets face it, she's no Jennifer Lawrence who can change character whenever she feels like it and nobody would care - but I was pleasantly surprised. She's a fantastic actress and not once through the whole film did I think about the other character she played, Tris, she was completely devoted to making us think she was a kid with cancer. And now I want her to be in a hundred more new films, so I can obsess over her.

Holly and I both agree that this is a film that we could watch over and over and never get sick of it. So when it comes out on DVD we're going to have a giant girl fest crying over it.

Holly

I hadn't read the book before seeing the film and so didn't know what to expect from this film. I entered the cinema knowing only that this film was going to be emotional (Daisy had told me to take tissues!). The film completely exceeded my expectations and even though I knew it was going to be emotional, the rollercoaster I was taken on was one I certainly wasn't prepared for.

I came out of the screening feeling 100% inspired, not only by the amazing story - job well done John Green, I will definitely be buying your book as soon as possible - but also by the talent of all the actors in the film, who portrayed such difficult subjects with such beauty.
Something that made this film even more stunning was the brilliant music, which was perfect and wonderful. The music fit the film like a glove and had been chosen with amazing accuracy, I hardly noticed it for most of the film - and this is how I know it was perfect, it just seemed like normality.


I was so taken by Augustus and Hazel's story that I felt I could have watched the film forever, I certainly didn't want it to end. I found myself forgetting the fiction of the film, this was bought about by the incredible acting of Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort - truly flawless.

As Daisy has pointed out it was the little details that made this film so believable. Also although it contained the hugley important and dominant theme of cancer and terminal illness, there were so many underlying themes, making this film more engaging and in a sense more relatable than I ever anticipated it to be.

I would recommend this film to absolutely anyone and everyone, in fact I think everyone should be made to watch it. It is so inspiring and brings up many key challenges that many of us will face at some point in our lives.

I can't wait until this film comes out on DVD and I am so excited to read the book as soon as possible.

Love Holly and Daisy x

No comments:

Post a Comment