Wednesday 19 March 2014

Great Gatsby

Hey Guys,
Both of us recently borrowed The Great Gatsby (the film) from our friend Liz. We have both wanted to watch it for a long time so were excited to finally see it, hoping it would live up to our high expectations. It did.

Holly
When I saw that The Great Gatsby was being released as a film I was so excited and became even more excited when I discovered that Baz Luhrmann was directing it, he is an absolute genius. He directed the modern Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge, which are two of my favourite films. As soon as the film started I could see Luhrmann's influence on the film, I knew that it was going to be great.

The film was stunning and I rode a rollercoaster of emotion, feeling every emotion each character felt, thanks to the fantastic acting of the likes of Toby Maguire, Leonardo Di Caprio and Carey Mulligan. They all played their characters so beautifully and bought the film to life in a way I could have only imagined.

The film exceeded my expectations, I love the unpredictability of the storyline, the amazing filming, the costumes, the actors and the way (according to my dad) the film was very true to the book. I own two copies of the book and now the mocks are over plan to read it as soon as possible, I honestly can't wait.

I would really recommend this film, I can't stress enough how much this film has influenced how I feel about humanity and it has made me step back and try to understand people's actions more. I know it sounds silly but it is honestly wonderful and not to watch it would be a mistake.

Daisy
I feel like Holly's fantastic review just about sums up how I feel about it. Like she said Luhrmann's iconic panning in and out, and fast forward filming were noticeable from the beginning - even if it did take me to the end of the film to realise who was directing it.

As well as the amazing plot line and the unexpected ending, I really found the deleted scenes fascinating, that is if you're smart enough to realise they're on the DVD.

For each deleted scene Luhrmann explained why they were not used in the film and the most common reason was, he wanted to keep everything focused on Nick and Gatsby's relationship. Spoilers -  There's an emotional scene where Gatsby's dad goes to his funeral and although I can imagine the ending being just as brilliant, it's understandable where Luhrmann comes from, wanting everything solely focused on Nick's emotions.   

It was a fabulous film, with all the detail put into the costumes and sets, that it would be a shame if you didn't watch it.

Love Holly and Daisy x

No comments:

Post a Comment